Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Question on Corn Seed

Hey Everyone,

I have a really stupid question that I seem to see mixed information on.

I am looking at Sugar Buns Hybrid Corn Seed which states it contains sugar-enhancer endosperm.  If it is endosperm enhanced, is that the GMO seed? 

Also on a funny note the endosperm comes up as a misspelling and blogger wants to replace it with the word spender......Maybe it is the late night on the computer, but spender and endosperm in my corn is certainly tickling the ole funny bone.  That would be a conversation piece in the garden, lol!

Denise, Beds 25 & 29

2 comments:

Amy W. said...

It's not GMO, it's a sugary-enhanced hybrid. Some of the newer corn has been bred specifically to get more sweet after harvest. I don't know the exact source of the super-sugary gene (my reading indicates that it might be some kind of mutation), but it is an actual corn plant and not some completely different organism.

Most of the heirlooms and open-pollinated corns begin to lose their sugars pretty much as soon as they are harvested. That's why old farmers talk about the only way to get really good corn as running out to the cornfield while supper is cooking, harvesting the right number of ears for the meal, shucking the ears while running back to the kitchen, and tossing the freshly picked corn right into the pot of boiling water.

If you are selecting a sweet corn to grow, it can be good to think about how far your garden is from the kitchen and whether you are a fast runner! If the answers are "far" and "not," you might want to choose one of the sugary hybrids.

Pack-rat said...

Amy, I am laughing. Thank you so much for putting the answer into something I can easily understand. I have read so much on this that I was just completely confused by all the choices. Depending on what I plant, I better invest in a better pair of sneakers, lol!

Thanks again,
Denise