Friday, March 29, 2013

Don't be seduced by this warm weather

This warm weather makes you want to go out and plant! plant! plant!
Soil Temperature probe - Photo by Sharon Dowdy

Read this great article about Soil Temperature and why it is so crucial to wait to plant our warm weather crops (tomatoes, beans, squash, cucumbers, etc) until the soil temperatures have risen.

In other words, if you plant now, you'll end up crying later.

Have a little patience, no crying later. But patience is hard to have when there are beautiful plants in the store and beautiful weather outside.

But you can plant the cool weather crops! In fact, now is the perfect time for them.


3 comments:

Pack-rat said...

I love this article on Soil Temperatures. You know the terrible thing is most of the cool weather stuff looks ragged and terrible in the stores. I can't believe how much is out already!

Anonymous said...

I have tomatoes in and see it differently. We have 2 days left with highs below 60 and next weekend will be nearly 80. If I'm right, I'll be eating tomatoes early. If I'm wrong, I'm out another $20 and planting again next weekend!

If I was planting an acre, I'd be a bit more prudent. But, in my 32 sq ft, I am willing to risk the lives of innocent tomato plants just to eat home grown tomatoes a few days early.

Muahahaha.

Mark #45

Pack-rat said...

I think you need a prize for Mr. Audacious, lol!