Thursday, March 14, 2013

Early Gardening

I was watching the news early his morning and channel five gave these facts. The average last freeze is March 23. Last freeze in 2012 - February 13. Last freeze in 2011 - February 12. Last freeze in 2010 - March 7.
Latest recorded freeze - April 23. So we had a freeze last night which went to 28 degrees. Is this the last? Who can say. Be careful with your tender new plants and seeds. I don't think we have seen the last of the frost blankets over our beds for a few more weeks.

2 comments:

Pack-rat said...

Is that for Atlanta, Mike? I remember loosing a couple tomatoes I put in too early last year due to cold weather, but I can't remember how early I planted. It was so warm, I couldn't resist the urge. This year I'm not taking any chances as I haven't started as many! I'm thinking 4/15 is a pretty safe bet, thoughts?

Unknown said...

It came from an Atlanta news station so my guess is the weather is for the city of Atlanta.
With the weather as it is it makes one go ahead and get stuff in the ground. I'm waiting another week for plants above ground. We have done some seeds like peas and spinach.
Right now the biggest harvest are grubs which are a delicacy in some parts of the world.