Friday, July 4, 2014

Cucumber-leaf Sunflower

Last year I planted Helianthus debilis ssp. cucumerifolius, Cucumber-leaf Sunflower at the far end of the sunflower/herb border. These annual sunflowers are a native of  southwestern Georgia but have spread further north. Interestingly, they have only spread as far north as Macon in the interior of the state but they have spread all the way up the coast to New England.






When my friend Hal gave them to me, he warned me that they reseeded readily. The plants he gave me came from middle Georgia in the sandhill region so I wasn't sure they would really grow well up here.

I think I've proved (at least so far this year) that they will thrive and do well up here. In fact, the plants at the garden are bigger and started blooming before the plants 100 miles south of here! Very odd if you ask me since spring comes earlier to the south of us.  It will be interesting to see how well they do the rest of the year and what happens next year.

Vicki - Bed 41

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice article keep up the good work home gardening