Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Don't Give Up on Your Fig!

Recovered Celeste fig - 7/22/14
See that greenery at the base of the dead fig stick?  This picture taken today, July 22nd, proves that patience aka procrastination pays off.  I'm sure the neighbors have wondered all summer why I'm growing a stick in my front yard.  Today, I was going to replace it with a gifted butterfly bush and, lo and behold, I found that it's recovered from the cold spells of our 2014 winter.  Do you recall the single digit night?

The more protected fig in my back yard sent up new shoots from the base last spring and is now taller than 5 feet.  No fruit, regretfully, but there's always next year. 

The figs in the Green Meadows Preserve Orchard have all recovered except for one.  But a bed check tomorrow might find it alive and kicking, too.  Hope so!

No comments: