Friday, October 10, 2014

Squirrels and Frost go hand in hand

Our favorite pest, i.e. those dratted squirrels, are becoming more active. They hadn't done much digging in the garden up in September. But now that it is October, I have noticed quite a few holes in the middle of beautiful patches of brand new seedlings.

Squirrel Deterrent......sort of
I've been watching the squirrels sauntering through the garden, looking for the perfect place to carefully dig a hole and place the treasured nut they were holding in their mouth.  Even though it is a nuisance to move the netting every time I work in my bed, I'm glad I went ahead did it preventatively.  At least this way I don't come to the garden and get instantly aggravated at what was destroyed nor do I have to keep replanting!

The chilly temperatures Sunday morning jump started my thought processes - when is the 1st frost. Or the question really should be, when is the 1st frost usually (but not always).

The answer - October 31st. Though it can be sooner than the 31st and as late as Nov 15th. A light frost doesn't cause as much damage as a hard freeze. This year I'm probably going to just let nature take its course but I will fight the good fight for awhile with the lettuce since I just got it going.

If you plan to use a frost cover now is the time to think about it, acquire your supplies and construct your frame.  And while you are at it, do a trial run to see if you have everything you need to anchor the cover! There is nothing worse than putting it together and then getting a call or email that your frost cover has come untethered and is flapping in the wind or the whole thing has collapsed.

If you are interested in protecting your bed from the dratted squirrels or your plants from frost and freezes, here are links to posts I've done in the past.




Good luck in the squirrel wars!

Vicki
Bed 41 

No comments: