Sunday, November 11, 2012

Brussel Sprouts

After talking to Denise and Amy about Brussel Sprouts I decided to go home and read up on them. I've never grown them, only cooked and eaten them. Turns out there are a couple of things to remember when you are ready to harvest them.

Cut the sprouts from the bottom up.

They are best harvested in the cool months.

Don't cut the top until you are finished with the plant.

Remove the leaves from the bottom of the plant after you harvest the sprout from the leaf node so the plant will send all its energies to the other sprouts.

If you want more information here are two articles that had a lot of good information about growing brussel sprouts.

Garden Grower - How to Grow Brussel Sprouts

Gardening Know How - Harvesting Brussel Sprouts


The University of Georgia Extension Service has a really excellent publication about when to harvest vegetables. The chart tells you the proper maturity size to harvest produce for a wide range of vegetables. It also tells you when it is too early and too late to harvest for good quality produce.

When to Harvest Vegetables - C935


       Vicki

3 comments:

Georgiatulips said...

Hey Vicki,

Thank you for the sprout information. Wow, I think I'm a little off schedule, even though I see baby sprouts. Curious to see if they make it through the winter. Live and learn.

I'll try to post a picture soon....

Amy

Pack-rat said...

I have tried brussels several times and they always seem to bolt on me rather than produce. I have tried several planting dates and see that my cycle for planting has been completely off. These look like some excellent guidelines to try next year. Regina Griffin who visits the garden often was giving me close to the same dates for growing successfully and she has much success with the plants. Looks like I will have more seeds to start......

Unknown said...

My plants are doing well and little nibs are showing but I think the temps will get to me before we have anything of substance. I have had good fortune in the spring so this winter will be a true test.
Mike (bed10)