Sunday, November 11, 2012

Black Swallowtail

Hey Vicki,

Those were black swallowtail caterpillars and carrots are considered a host plant.  I always knew about the dill, fennel, parsley and such, but have never had them on anything else.  I will definitely be checking my carrots on a regular basis now.  Thanks for the heads up!  Learned something new today!  Here is a link and look midway down, that was the little guys, they were just a bit younger.

http://www.joyfulbutterfly.com/articles/blackswallowtailindoors.html

Hey, where is the Pocahontas photo?  You are too funny!

Denise  

3 comments:

VickiBed41 said...

Interesting! You learn something every day! Today I've learned I had swallowtail caterpillars and when to harvest brussel sprouts. Who knows what else I'll learn.

What I don't understand is how the adults got on there since I would have thought the birdnetting would have kept a large butterfly from getting very close to the carrot foliage. Good thing I decided to fertilize them yesterday and found the caterpillars when they were very young.

Pack-rat said...

Since the eggs would take some time to hatch, maybe they were there before the netting was in place. I am glad you caught them as they have quite an appetite. Those were probably caviar to the bluebirds. If I find any, I'll probably just do the same for the birdies since it's so late in the season.

Oh, and today I learned a new nickname. Sorry Vicki, but yours is going to be clothespin! :-)

VickiBed41 said...

I found another even tinier caterpillar today on my carrots. Guess I'd better check every day until we have steady 40 temps.