Wednesday, November 28, 2012

War on Squirrels is Declared

Yes, you are reading this correctly.  War has now been declared on the squirrels in my bed!   I actually think the squirrels are getting back at me for taking more than my fair share of their nuts.  Kind of the eye for an eye theory.  Dalita thank you so much for letting me know I had issues.  Most days when I come to the garden, I see a little digging but nothing too unreasonable.  Well let's just say, today wasn't that day. What a mess.....

Since shooting the little critters is probably out of the question (I really wouldn't do that), I thought I would search for a kinder and gentler resolution.  After all I am gardening in their environment and do realize they were here first.  Nevertheless, really squirrels, if you want a carrot that bad, I will bring you one from the fridge.  Leave these alone, they are Mokum's and White Satin's.   I did come across some information and thought it may be helpful if any others are having the same issues.

The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control (speaking of which is an excellent resource for those who are environmentally conscious) suggests poultry netting, repellent sprays for deer and rabbits, blood meal barrier, and drenching the bed with a castor oil repellent, commonly used to repel moles and chipmunks.  The book suggests using the netting in combination with another tactic as the best line of defense.  In addition, an eHow website (listed below) has a variety of other means to try such as used cat litter, blood meal barrier mentioned again, and a homemade hot pepper spray.  I am surprised to see cat litter as an option as to me this is a horrible choice to add to the soil.  I would love to hear if anyone has any knowledge of this tactic.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5411541_keep-squirrels-out-garden.html - link to the eHow website on How to Keep Squirrels Out of Your Garden

Normally, I use a little blood meal in the garden on a regular basis as an excellent source of nitrogen. Since I have it on hand and no additional cost would be incurred, I think it will be my first line of defense at getting the problem resolved.  I am thinking about putting a barrier around the base of the bed on the outside so I do not overdose my garden on nitrogen at this time of year.  Too much of a good thing scenario.  I figure that way it will only need replaced after a rain and will just settle into the ground naturally.  If this does not work, I would probably be inclined to try some pepper and garlic spray.  Does anyone have some thoughts on using a blood meal barrier?  Good idea, bad idea?

Consider this your notice little squirrels; you will be baffled by the mystery of the netting, repelled by the smell of blood, using a non-cow source, of course, and victory will be mine!

Called to Duty,

Denise, Beds 25 & 29






 


6 comments:

VickiBed41 said...

I see...they have finally committed the kind of sin that brings out the ruthless streak in you. Y'all thought I was a little obsessive about keeping my bed completely covered in bird netting. But listening to your account of the devastation they wrecked upon you and witnessing all the holes they've dug in all the beds, well.... I'm glad I declared my personal war on them months ago.

By the way Denise, you were the one that inspired me to use bird netting after I saw the strip you had put over your carrots and shallots. It was driving me batty when they kept digging up my spinach and I got tired of putting more and more sticks in my bed. True the sticks slowed them down but not enough. Thank goodness I had the netting in place before I planted my garlic, onions and shallots!

Pack-rat said...

By the amount of damage in my bed, I think they may have gotten trapped under the bird netting. I'm not sure though. What do you think of the blood meal barrier? Any suggestions for putting it down? Have you ever heard of the cat litter approach? That pretty much seems ridiculous to me. All I know is they better leave my Mokum's alone or I'm going to scream. They are the sweetest carrots ever.....

Pack-rat said...

Hey Vicki, do you have comments showing on the left side of the posts? My screen says the feature is broken and I am unsure how to rectify the problem....Suggestions?

VickiBed41 said...

I can't fix it - Blogger hasn't fixed the gadget yet. I keep checking to see if they have fixed it but alas,not yet. Once it is fixed I'll remove my text box message saying it is broken.

VickiBed41 said...

But wasn't the broccoli plant that was dug up outside of where the bird netting was? From your discription it sounded like the entire bed was torn up, not just where the netting was over the carrots, spinach and shallots.

As for cat litter, I think that is a terrible idea. Very unsanitary and will lead to all kinds of skin diseases. Ughghgh.

I've never used bloodmeal to chase off critters though I may have to do that soon since my usual squirrel defense methods aren't working on my pots with violas. Poor things were totally dug up when I went outside this afternoon. It almost looked like they had been dug up for 2 days since they were rather dry.

Pack-rat said...

That's right, the whole bed was dug up. It took me a couple of hours to get it all back in place. A couple spinach and shallot plants are completely gone, the broccoli and kohlrabi I have replanted and no wilting thus far. As for the carrots, a few are completely gone, as in eaten, the others are all replanted and only a couple still look wilted today. Replanting what was tore up seems to be working. I'm with you on the cat litter, anything I have ever read has said to keep it out of the garden. Who puts this stuff on google?